Mount Pilatus is a mountain overlooking Lucerne in central Switzerland. The top can be reached with the Pilatus railway, the world’s steepest cogwheel railway, from Alpnachstad, operating from May to November (depending on snow conditions), and the whole year with the aerial panorama gondolas and aerial cableways from Kriens. Both summits of Tomlishorn and Esel can be reached with a trail. Mount Pilatus has the longest summer toboggan track in Switzerland (0.88 miles or 1,350 m) and the biggest suspension rope park in Central Switzerland. Standing 2,119m high, Pilatus is the city of Lucerne’s home mountain.
KAPELLBRUCKE (Chapel Bridge)
The Kapellbrücke (literally, Chapel Bridge) is a covered wooden footbridge spanning diagonally across the Reuss River in the city of Lucerne in central Switzerland. Named after the nearby St. Peter’s Chapel, the bridge is unique because it contains a number of interior paintings dating back to the 17th century, although many of them were destroyed along with most of the centuries-old bridge in a 1993 fire.
The most characteristic sight in Lucerne is the Kapellbrücke, apart from being a picturesque centerpiece for Lucerne, the bridge, built in 1333, is interesting for the more than 100 17th-century pictures hanging from the roof rafters inside, depicting patron saints and scenes from the town’s history. The bridge and tower are among the most photographed scenes in all Switzerland.
The Lion Monument or the Lion of Lucerne, is a rock relief in Lucerne, Switzerland, designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen and hewn in 1820–21 by Lukas Ahorn. It commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris.
Mark Twain praised the sculpture of a mortally-wounded lion as “the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world.”
CHURCH OF ST.LEODEGAR
The Church of St. Leodegar (German: St. Leodegar im Hof or Hofkirche St. Leodegar) is the most important church and a landmark in the city of Lucerne, Switzerland. It was built in parts from 1633 to 1639 on the foundation of the Roman basilica which had burnt in 1633. This church was one of the few built north of the Alps during the Thirty Years War and one of the largest and art history rich churches of the German late renaissance period.
Inside, the carved pulpit and choir-stalls are from 1639, and in the arcades surrounding the church are the tombs of members of old Lucerne families. Although the overall interior is simple and fairly plain, this just highlights the exuberant baroque gold altars. In the summer, recitals on the church’s famous organ are held here.
For more information visit the official site: Church of St.Leodegar
KKL LUZERN (Culture and Convention Centre Lucerne)
The Culture and Congress Centre in Lucerne (or KKL for Kultur- und Kongresszentrum Luzern) is a multi-functional building with a concert hall that is esteemed for its high-profile acoustics. It was built according to the plans of the architect Jean Nouvel and was inaugurated in 1998 with a concert by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Claudio Abbado.
The concert hall (1800 seats) is one of the finest concert halls in the world. The Lucerne Hall, the Convention Centre with the auditorium, and the Museum of Art – the fourth largest in Switzerland – are also part of this sensational construction.
For more information visit the official site: KLL Luzern
GLETSCHERGARTEN (Glacier Garden)
Mirror Maze it has been at the Glacier Garden since 1899 and its 90 mirrors plays tricks with your mind. It is fantastic attraction was created in 1896 in the style of Granada’s Alhambra for the Swiss National Exhibition. Although the corridors appear infinitely long, they are in effect quite short – so take your time walking through. Within the Mirror Maze and outside there are lots of mirror experiments and distorting mirrors to enjoy.
Lucerne’s Jesuit Church is the first large baroque church built in Switzerland north of the Alps. The Jesuit order, founded by Ignatius of Loyola in 1534, served as papal elite troops in the spiritual fight against Protestantism.
The construction began in 1667. By 1673 the shell of the church and the main facade were completed. The church was consecrated in 1677, though the interior was not yet really finished. Several side altars were still missing and even the high altar was only erected four years later, due to financial problems. The onion topped towers were not completed until 1893. The vault was redecorated in the mid-18th century. The original vestments of Brother Klaus, a famous Swiss patron, are stored in the inner chapel.